Total Pageviews

Friday, November 2, 2012

This American Life

I just woke up, and there's no violence outside my home.
I turned on a light without thinking for a moment that its not coming on was even an option.

It took a second, but I got out of my nice warm bed and walked about 5 feet to the bathroom. I used it and then flushed without a concern in the world about the water it used, or the plumbing. 


I turned on some water and then I just let the water that wasn't at the desired temperature run down the drain until it became hot water to wash my hands, with a great smelling soap and then dried my face on a towel that smelled like dryer sheets.

Afterward I walked to the kitchen and opened my refrigerator which was running not to my surprise at all. I got a clean glass, used my ice maker, and turned around to get some water. Water that could have been clean enough to drink as it was from the tap, but I have chosen to filter it even more.

It's really quite amazing.

And when I think, "I can't find anything to eat."
I remember the days when I knew what it truely meant to find NOTHING to eat.
That now it is only those things that don't appeal to me at the moment, but it is not NOTHING to eat.

When I am hot I remember what a swamp cooler (when it worked) felt like.
And what driving without air condition felt like.


When I am cold, I recall the days of no heat at all.

When there's not enough seat belts for everyone, I recall riding in the back of a pick up truck because their weren't enough seats. I remember having no car at all for most of my growing up years.

I am standing outside my house, posting on the internet right now, and thinking back to when I would go have to go to the neighbor's house just to borrow their phone.

And now, when I feel like my finances are box around my torso, that seems to shrink everytime I exhale, or sigh from relief, I think to myself, " Well, at least I have a check or two coming. It's not much perhaps but it's something.".

Then, I can breathe just a little bit easier...for a little while at least.


Sometimes I forget, I have it good, certainly much better than I used to.
That it's all good, it's just more difficult at certain times than others, I just need to press on and trust.

peace,
d(-_-)b


No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to, so say it already...no one's going to be offended.