Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2 Questions for You

Hear me out. I'm not judging, but I am asking a couple of serious questions here.

I'm not against gun ownership although I don't think I'll ever own one because of my own moral conflicts, but that's my issue and not yours.

It seems to me, according my understanding, that there are really very few arguments that a Christian can make for gun ownership without a certain compromise of faith.

That said the arguments that could be made outside of a religious context are actually very strong very strong in deed. (Which is part of my inner conflict in this.) I just rarely hear the strongest of them being used.

I don't know anyone that has to hunt for food. (actually I do know one family). Many may choose to but they don't have to. That's probably particular to my geographic region though.

So the next best argument it seems is also the one people use in the worst possible way. The Second Amendment.

Why is it that gun owners never, at least to my recollection never, site the Second Amendment verbatim when using it as their defense for owning a gun? They simply say "the second amendment" like they've never read it or even understand it. They then go on to say all sorts of reasons that aren't at all covered under the second amendment, basically it's insurance in a fear based culture. What if this, what if that.

It's actually pretty short, and simple. It wouldn't be all that hard to memorize.

They could simply say that they're preparing to be part of a citizen's militia army to defend the state should such a time come and the second amendment states they should do so, which why they have this freedom in the first place. Who could argue that?

But they don't say that.
I don't know why, so I won't speculate.

So here are my two questions:

1) From the American pov. If you read this and advocate gun ownership as an American right (which it is) maybe you could help me out here. Why not use the verbiage of the second amendment as part of the defense? Seems like a solid argument.

2) From the religious pov. If there is a case to be made from a Christian stance about gun (weapons of defense) ownership I'd like to hear that too.
Doesn't matter which side of the issue to me, just one side or the other. What does your conviction of faith say?
(Please don't try to tie in patriotism with faith it's really too inconsistent. Strictly faith based please.)

People read this stuff and never comment, but it doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, just asking.

db

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to, so say it already...no one's going to be offended.