Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

More Summery Than Fallen

Please note the differences in the following two sets of words (which spell check will not correct) and choose appropriately when typing your resume. 

Summery versus Summary & Then versus Than



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Summery versus Summary

sum·mer·y  [suhm-uh-ree]
    adjective
    of, like, or appropriate for summer: summery weather; a summery dress.

sum·ma·ry  [suhm-uh-ree]
    adjective noun
    1. a comprehensive and usually brief abstract, recapitulation, or compendium of previously stated facts or statements.

    adjective
    2. brief and comprehensive; concise.
    3. direct and prompt; unceremoniously fast: to treat someone with summary dispatch.
    4. (of legal proceedings, jurisdiction, etc.) conducted without, or exempt from, the various steps and delays of a formal trial.

2) Then versus Than

then
    adverb
    1. at that time: Prices were lower then.
    2. immediately or soon afterward: The rain stopped and then started again.
    3. next in order of time: We ate, then we started home.
    4. at the same time: At first the water seemed blue, then gray.
    5. next in order of place: Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother.

than
    conjunction
    1. (used, as after comparative adjectives and adverbs, to introduce the second member of an unequal comparison): She's taller than I am.
    2. (used after some adverbs and adjectives expressing choice or diversity, such as other, otherwise, else, anywhere,  or different,  to introduce an alternative or denote a difference in kind, place, style, identity, etc.): I had no choice other than that. You won't find such freedom anywhere else than in this country.
    3. (used to introduce the rejected choice in expressions of preference): I'd rather walk than drive there.
    4. except; other than: We had no choice than to return home.
    5. when: We had barely arrived than we had to leave again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I review applications and resumes as a part of my job and I come across this mistake all the time. My sides hurt, and I just can't keep laughing like this.

If you don't care about yourself, please think about me with my aching sides, and please stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to, so say it already...no one's going to be offended.