Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Law Abiding Citizens

I'm not the most educated guy in the world, nor do I have the time to pursue the interests and issues I would love to. I'm sure I'd be a much better person if I did.


I have been blessed however to have friends who have big brains in a wide range of areas, with an even wider range of world views. I receive intelligence by osmosis in large part.

Usually, my questions aren't so pointed as solicit a select sector of our culture, however this time I am addressing primarily the Christian subculture. Certainly anyone is welcome to weigh in, but my interest lies primarily in finding a Biblical basis for the following questions:

1) When  or is it is ever, appropriate for Christians to break the law of the land in order to be in accordance with their convictions about the laws of God? 

2) Is there supporting historical precedence?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and views.

I initially thought of this question when considering the Underground Railroad in American History. 

Certainly Christians at home and abroad, regardless of how anyone may see them in our current culture, have been champions for equality, justice and mercy. They played a large part in this particular movement, and in the push to abolish slavery in the United States over all.

Conversely however, I imagine, given the clear condoning of slavery found throughout the Bible, that those in the South whose very prosperity depended on slave labor couldn't possibly have believed their actions were in conflict with their faith. If they held slaves and treated them in accordance with Biblical standards would they have been in the wrong? I think a very strong argument could be made that they weren't at all in violation of Biblical laws.

So, it seems Christians were at a disagreement on various planes. 
Each believing firmly that their own stance was correct and each probably being able to present a very strong biblical case to support their stance.

A good deal of this mentality seems to be prevalent in our current culture on many issues, but that's just a side note.

I want to hear it.

Are there circumstance under which Christians can and should break the law?
Sock it to me...










9 comments:

  1. i believe that a thinking person's conscience should trump the law. Bradley Manning is a perfect example of when to break the law. we must break the law when abiding by it is morally unconscionable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree, but is there a biblical support for your view?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion I think the Bible commands us to break the laws of the land... For example in EVERY Muslim country it is illegal to teach the Word. And I honestly think Jesus sums up the Law pretty well when He said Love thy neighbor is the second greatest of all the commandments

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some backgroumd on what stemmed this thought process see:

    http://victorygardenfailure.blogspot.com/2011/07/jesus-la-migra-and-victor-hugo.html

    It may lend some imaight as to the nature of my thonking although my questiom is much broader, amd intentionally so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But Peter and the apostles answered, We must obey God rather than any human authority." Acts 5:29

    ReplyDelete
  6. "But Peter and John answered them, ‘Whether it is right in God’s sight to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge; for we cannot keep from speaking about what we have seen and heard.’" Acts 4:19-20

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding the Jesus and Victor post, I certainly wasn't advocating anarchy, or even smuggling in non citizens.
    That story was simply putting a human face to a statistic that might not otherwise be considered as anything more and thus easily ignored as less than, which most certainly is not the car.
    But aren't there times in history that Christians have broken the law of the land to be in accordance with their faith? (smuggling Jews out of Nazi Germany, the Underground Railroad assisting legally owned slave to break the law of they land by leaving their owners, missionaries who smuggle in Bibles to countries expressly forbidding them, Paul imprisoned for preaching about Jesus, etc.)
    I'm certain that a good number of the saints that have done (or do) these things were/are also meet with resistance, discouragement, guilt and by those who could state with great conviction and certainty the logic that all authority is ordained by God and is thus to be obeyed.
    The Bible clearly shows however that while God has orchestrated circumstances (who hardened Pharaoh's heart?) in which certain people are in authority, we must be discerning in circumstance and timing of our obedience. Faith and perseverance certainly have their place, in this case, but we are also called to help those who cannot help themselves, and it's clearly stated in the Bible that failing to help those that we are capable of helping is sin.
    So, clearly one most certainly needs not have faith in God or even be concerned about God to be used by God. It just isn't a good position to find ones self in, ask Pilot, ask Judas. Certainly they were exactly where they were supposed to be, no?
    So there is both biblical and historical precedence, to my mind, that some laws must be broken before they are changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just caught the theme of every broken law mentioned in the posts above...how very obviously hidden in the open...silly me.

      Delete

You know you want to, so say it already...no one's going to be offended.