Total Pageviews

Monday, August 27, 2012

The best way to ruin a good thing

I made my wife an mp3 CD for the car.
It was a labor of love, an awesome mix, with lots of songs.
It was music she wanted to listen to and she enjoyed it...even after it got stuck in the CD player it was still an awesome mix.

For a while...over time it became decreasingly awesome, random can only help so much.
After a while it became the music she had to listen to, not the music she wanted to listen to. Not anymore.
I hear about (and I've seen) people who love to do something and then decide to pursue it as a career. They not only to lose their passion over time they come to resent it.
I used to think I wanted to be in a clergy related profession. I made earnest effort and showed interest.
I guess no one ever saw that in me, because it never happened. No mentoring, no disciplining.
I spent some time in regret for a while, but over the years I've come to see that it might have been the best possible thing.
I'm not sure I wouldn't have nearly the exposure to such a diverse group of friends had that been the case, and I do love my friends. They show me things that only such diversity could. They're fine to disagree with me and they're fine if I disagree with them.
They broaden my horizons and expand my point of view.
Not only that, if things had worked out I'd be stuck going to church and I'm sure I'd become resentful of it more than I already am. (sorry, it's true)
Right now my faith is something I love to live and question. I can do so freely without the scrutiny of a congregation or people who are just waiting to trip me up our catch me messing up.
I can be honest about who I am without fear of judgment, not fear of correction, that's different. My friends are good about that as well.
But if that song I love right now got stuck in the player, it might become the crap I have to listen to instead of the stuff I love listening to...I really don't want that.
It certainly wouldn't make it a different song, just a very tired old song...and I like the old songs.
d(-_-)b

1 comment:

  1. "I guess no one ever saw that in me, because it never happened. No mentoring, no disciplining."? Ever is a long time...I just see your talent and can't help but think the CD that is your love of the Word and your ability to express it should be distributed like an ADELE cd... (Just a thought)

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to, so say it already...no one's going to be offended.