Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thoughts on Joseph

I'm not sure why, or that it even matters, but I find a God deal of comfort in seeing who God has called to his purpose throughout history, when I read the Bible. That he choose so many that to me and apparently many others as well, who seemed so unlikely and unqualified to accomplish so many great things gives me hope that I too may do something for him.

I relate to these ordinary people and all of their short comings and so I'm glad that unlike many accounts of history, the Bible shows that failure too may be critical factor in eventual success. (Whatever that looks like.)

Many of what turned out to be the greatest people in the Bible were at one point or another also some of the worst as well.

When I consider Joseph, in his youth, as with so many others in the Bible, I don't honestly see a lot of the faults many others seem to so see so plainly. Perhaps this is because I imagine given his circumstance and up bringing I might have been a good deal like him, but probably not fairing nearly as well.

What I see when I look at Joseph is a kid acting and responding as a kid in his situation might be expected to, or at least how I might have.

As I read about him, I think that the majority of Joseph's short comings (or offenses) to my perspective are simply the result of youth and the sort of certainty and indiscretion that only the inexperience of youth affords us (all of us). It is seen over and over in the Bible and in everyday life.

For example, Maddy (my daughter) at age 6 decided that it was time for me to learn how to use the microwave. She sat me down and explained every button until she was sure I knew how to use it on my own. This is exactly the sort of mind set that I'm talking about.

That said, his "security" perhaps in large part by virtue of his favored status, certainly and naturally seems to have affected his character to some degree allowing him to speak and act as those who might not be as secure would dare.

But of all the faults that Joseph might be accused of, being either unfaithful or dishonest is not among them. When he spoke of his dreams to his family he was merely speaking the truth and I imagine being awestruck by his dreams his intention was to share and his excitement from them more than it was to convey his superiority. Never the less the latter rather than the former was the feeling his family got from it.

In sharing, he may have been oblivious to the insecurities of others, or thoughtless about the clear power struggle that existed with his brothers, but whatever the case, without concern for appealing to their pride or consideration for how they may respond he simply and plainly spoke the truth that God had revealed to him. In that I can certainly find no offense.

In fact it, as I see it, that may be in some part what Jesus meant when saying you must become as a child. Children unless and until they are taught otherwise will speak truth without regard for doing anything other than that. It is in large part a quality worthy of retaining or regaining if it has been lost over the years.

This truth, as with all truth that offends pride and /or threatens power, then became the focus his brothers anger and the impetus for the cruelty they would eventually subject him to. So it seems if there were guilt to be placed on anyone for intentional wrong doing, I would have to think none that guilt would  fall on him.

When I read of Joseph and his journey, I find that throughout his struggles and temptations we see a Joseph that remains true to his faith in God in spite of the consequences for doing so, and so God it seems remains faithful to him throughout as well.

Considering all of this, I have to imagine by the age of 30, when he rose to power...(by the way am I the only one finding so many parallels to Christ's own ministry in here?) he certainly must have been a far different person than the Joseph of his youth who was sold into slavery and left to fend for himself.

Was he right to speak and act as he did? Well, perhaps right is a poor choice of words, but then as I see it he certainly wasn't wrong either.

The lesson for me? Perhaps then it is better to be righteous for God than simply to be right among men.

Again, just my two cents.

d(-_-)b

1 comment:

  1. We are often, if not always, amazed when we read about a character in the Bible who was flawed, but who was used by God in the story of redemption. If we think about it, we should not be. The story of redemption is the story of grace and forgiveness, and it should not seem strange (though it does) that God would use broken, ornery, "dumb sheep" like us, to advance His Kingdom.

    And you are correct, it is a great comfort. We would be intimidated and would probably just give up and leave Christianity if all the characters in the Bible were young, strong, beautiful, wise, and like so many of the characters of Hollywood. But, I remember someone somewhere saying that He did not call the righteous but sinners, and He came to heal those (who know) they are in need of a Physician. Strange work and wonderful, what God does!

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to, so say it already...no one's going to be offended.