Total Pageviews

Monday, August 6, 2012

The God of Science and the Science of God

Let me start by saying, as I have always said, I'm not an expert in anything... Nothing.


What I know I know by virtue of life experience, media and social osmosis. (I have smart friends.) With that in mind let me state that my purpose in writing here is not at all to teach or convince anyone of anything, except of course myself.

I'm not concerned at all with making you believe that I am right, as much as making sure that I have afforded myself the consideration of other views and evidences, enough to change if I need to, in order to feel in presenting my views, that I most certainly am right. (Selfish I know)

I write here about my observations of the world around me (as I understand it) for my own clarity, and so of course my own strange perspectives taint these stories. They are saturated in opinion and most likely steeped in ignorance.

I am a believer in the God of the Bible, and although I have a very diverse set of friends and a good many who do not believe the same, there are a greater percentage of folks that I know that profess to believe in the same God I do. It manifests itself quite differently between us, and depending on our life experiences, its practice (at least in appearance) varies widely. At the heart of it though, it's all the same.

I love them all, but probably much to their dismay, they come up a good deal in my writing. I suppose if I hung around dogs, and loved dogs I would then write about dogs, but I don't. (No offense to dogs.)
I would never deny any of this.

My initial hope in starting all of this, was that in being publicly, painfully vulnerable and honest here, and by taking the time to write these thoughts out, that others would be inclined to share and lend insight to help me (help each other really) sort through this mess we call life, because I cannot believe that I am alone in my experiences and thinking . Maybe just a little more outside the box than most people I seem to have met.

I've yet to find anyone I feel that I am more like, than unlike. It seemed somehow desperately important and elusive when I was younger, but now I embrace that diversity and find it refreshing.

Some of this stuff can be rough at times and you may find yourself at certain points in disagreement, enlightened, offended or even amused by what you find here, but rest assured that whatever you find is purely incidental and probably more of a reflection on you than me.

THINK.

Now, a good number of the people who read here regularly, may find those previous statements a bit redundant. I know that I've stated them in the past, but I felt that they once again needed to be clarified before I remarked about my observations of the world around me once more.
Perhaps now though, you might extend to me some greater level of kindness, beyond simply remaining silent, if I am incomplete in my logic or just plain wrong.

So here we go...God, Science, Science, God....

There are people in every area and field who are experts, then there are hobbyists, enthusiasts, and last, laypersons who hold only a little more than a passing interest.

Two of those fields that people love to speak about and generally tout a level of authority greater than their experience or education would qualify them for are the broad fields of science and faith. They can be murky areas for many people. However wrong they may be, most people (and to their benefit, perhaps unknowingly) usually just keep on misinforming others without ever receiving much of a challenge. Its sad really.

I have heard persons, both believers and nonbelievers of the Christian faith, misquote or mis-state studies and findings, claiming that science is on their side when it comes to their own conclusions of whether or not God exists or can be known at all.

However as I see it, when applied to anything other than the observable "science" becomes even more subjective than it is to prone to being on its own, and consequently presented in a manner very askew from its intention, in order to make it fit the mold we desire it should.

This isn't to say at all that a good deal of evidence hasn't been found that scientifically supports the Bible, its miraculous claims and ancient cultures, for in deed it irrefutably has, in many disciplines, science has moved the accounts contained within its pages from the status of "ancient fiction" to "provable historic fact".

Science just hasn't "proven" God conclusively enough to remove the element of faith from the decision to "follow" him. If there is a God, and I believe there is, I suspect that this isn't at all an accident, just as love of any type requires some level of faith in the other in order to flourish, as well.

If my understanding of scientific logic is correct, it is that the burden of proof lies on showing evidence of the existence (rather than the non-existence) of something, and if science has shown the non-existence of something, it has primarily been as a result of proving the existence of something else.

So, based on nothing more than what I have stated and my own faith, I have to conclude that God and good (correct, accurate) science cannot be in conflict because really they are not at all concerned about the same things, but primarily because God as the creator of all things created only serves to be proven rather than disproven as a result as a result of the scientific observation his creation, for anything created can only bear witness to its creator.

This is not to say that religious theory will not be altered as a result of scientific finding, perhaps at times rightfully so. But religious theory is the finite attempting to understand the infinite, man trying to understand God, not God himself. I'm only saying just what I said, God himself will not be thwarted or undone by any scientific findings.

So I say," Go for it science!"

Still however the question,"Does God exist?" remains unanswered by science.

My conclusions is this: Science, being concerned with observing creation, and proving that which exists rather than that which does not, can only offer one possible response one possible conclusion when asked,"Does God exist?"

That answer?
Not Yes.
Not No.

The best and worst possible answer can only and simply be: Inconclusive.

And so once more we're back to that subject Jesus spoke on so much, when making our conclusions for or against the existence of God: Faith.

Like I said, I don't think that's an accident. That's love for you, I guess.
You gotta have faith, if you're going to make the relationship work, and that's exactly what it's all about, faith...relationship.

d(-_-)b
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to, so say it already...no one's going to be offended.